Monday, July 2, 2018

July Link Party - #41


Hello friends! Today I'm sharing my updated tutorial for creating a weathered wood background. I originally posted this on the Wordpress blog, but since we are no longer using that site I thought I'd post it over here as well.


Step One: Gather your supplies - White Glue, Paint, Stiff Cardboard, Sandpaper
Step Two: Cut your cardboard to size and using a Scoring Board, create boards every 1/4 inch
Step Three: Cover your entire piece of cardboard with white school glue and let dry till tacky


Step Four: Paint over your tacky glue with your choice of paint (I used Blueprint Sketch Distress Paint ---- NOTE: do not apply using applicator, remove lid and use a paintbrush!)
Step Five: Dry using a heat gun (if you did it correctly, cracks will appear)
Step Six: Add a coordinating color of paint  and heat set (I added Hickory Smoke Distress Paint)


Step Seven: Apply a little bit of Picket Fence Distress Stain and rub in with your finger (heat set)
Step Eight: Re-score your lines
Step Nine: Sand edges and center to create a rough, worn look



Here's how I finished creating my card:
  • I added a piece of blue Petaloo lace across the bottom of my wood background
  • I die cut a bird cage using the Gilded Birds die (Memory Box - Poppystamps) from dictionary page
  • In the bottom corner I added greenery and branches cut from the Fall Foliage Thinlits (Tim Hotlz)
  • I created crinkle ribbon using seam binding and Wild Honey - Worn Lipstick Distress Oxide (Ranger)
  • I created three flowers by layering punched dictionary pages and adding a tiny pearl to the center
  • I tucked a pretty little bird from Mitrushova Art into my ribbon
  • The top of the cage features one of the dictionary page flowers glued over a Burlap String bow
  • Underneath is a tiny die cut tag (Cuttlebug) stamped with a sentiment from Dina Wakley's Little Birdies and inked withe Walnut Stain Distress Oxide

 Now it’s your turn to share the projects you’ve been working on! As always our link party is "Anything Goes" with these few simple rules:

  1. Create ANY new project using a product or two from one of the companies CropStop carries in the store. (It’s ok if you didn’t buy it from us, and also fine if it’s a product we don’t currently have it in stock as long as it’s from one of the companies we carry!)
  2. Please, no back-linking old projects
  3. Limit 5 entries per challenge
  4. Link your project here, link back to this post, and mention the CropStop Challenge in your post.
We’ll choose one random Winner who will receive a prize from the CropStop Store! (100 or more links = two winners and two prizes!) Thanks so much for linking up with us, we look forward to seeing all your great entries this month. Grab our badge and help us spread the word that CropStop is a great place to play along!


Optional Twist for July:
Create a project that features a handmade wood background of any kind and I'll enter your name twice in the random draw (for each project linked)!

19 comments:

ellyscard creatief said...

Wow, this is beautiful. Lovely colors too.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wowzers, this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the steps for how you made it! I've never attempted anything like this - your woodgrain background looks fabulous!

SD pooja said...

What a cool technique to create crackled texture.

ionabunny said...

Hurrah new linky party!! Love your card. The blue faux wood is cool and love that cute little bird. HUgz

Amy Brown said...

That background (and overall card) is STUNNING! Thank you for sharing your technique with us. I just might try this on a card for the challenge! :P

Vicki said...

TFS again, Esther! I love this technique.

Helen Gullett said...

Esther, that is fabulous tutorial. I love how the woodgrain texture look real on the cardstock.
I do not have Distress Paints, but maybe I can try to use something other medium :) :)
Thank you so much for the tutorial.

Darlene said...

Thanks for awesome instructions on this fun technique! And thanks for the fun challenge!

Conniecrafter said...

Fantastic job on that wood background, love the bird cage cut from dictionary page, the bird is so sweet, Gorgeous card

Gail said...

Esther this is an amazing piece of work! I hope to try this some day - very lovely work here! TFS and for how to do the background! Have a blessed week!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow!!! Your card is just amazing and the faux wooden background looks wonderful! Fabulous technique and great design! Love so much the colours and the different material used!
Thanks so much for the step by step tutorial!! I have surely to try it!!

aussie aNNie said...

ONE TO TO TRY OUT love the effect and thanks for this amazing tutorial ..x

Jessica MayDay said...

Love that faux wood plank background. Beautifully done and inspiring. I'm excited to give that technique a shot sometime soon! The whole card is gorgeous ❤❤❤

sarascloset said...

Just beautiful, Esther! Thank you for your great tutorial! Flagged for future use! Hugs!

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation Esther, thank you for the tutorial! Thank you for the challenge as well.
Crafty Hugs, Sherry xx
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

Scrappy Scatty said...

Love that background very much xx

Monika Gulyas said...

What an awesome background!!! I've never tried the weathered wood background using glue but now I would like to try it!!! Thanks for sharing this technique!!!

D.Ann C said...

Oh, Esther, this is fabulous! I keep a list of links to pages I want to CASE some day... the minute I saw that gorgeous background I went to add the link to my page and saw I already had a link under Weathered Wood Background... it was from the post you made in the old blog! Maybe THIS time I'll actually get around to trying it! lol!!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful project! I love the blue wood effect background that you created and the bird, birdcage and adornments look stunning 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and have a great new week! J 😊 x