Friday, November 23, 2018

Guest Designer - Rebecca Yahrling


We're back with another fun guest designer post hosted by the talented his week - Rebecca Yahrling (Flickr Gallery here). Wow! Wow! Wow! This week she's created not one, but four adorable gift containers for holiday giving. I'm thinking I need to make some of these up for the food gifts I'll be giving this year!

Here's Rebecca's instructions:
"I am honored once again this week to be your Guest Designer. And their store has so many products to help us in our crafty endeavors.
With the holidays fast approaching, I thought I would try something a little different. A decorated box! It will hold quite a bit so you can use it for many different things. I always make lots of Christmas cookies so that is what I will put in my boxes.
 

Start with a 12x12 piece of double sided decorative patterned paper (or you can also adhere two, one-sided papers together as I did with my snowman box). Score one side at 3" and 9" then rotate the paper and score at 1", 3 1/2", 6 1/2" and 9".  Cut down to the middle score lines on both sides of the lid and also at the bottom to the first score line (see photo). 
Cut tabs off the top corner of sheet on both sides (also shown in photo); keep these for another small project I will show.
 
 
Tape the box together with a strong adhesive (I used scor-tape). See photo.
Now the real fun begins with decorating your box however you wish. 
 
 
This is what I did for the snowman box: I added a small rectangle of hook & loop tape for my closure using tacky glue to secure. I then wrapped & glued (tacky glue) a silver metallic wire ribbon around the box, but adhered under the lid at the top and then just to the hook & loop tape under the lid (otherwise, your box won't open!). I then die cut my decorative pieces for the top; a flourish from white glitter paper, a white doily, a blue mini doily and a blue tag (twice for dimension & stability). I glued down the flourish & the large doily. I popped up the mini doily and then glued (tacky) a white plastic snowflake on top. I then stamped the sentiment in white on the tag (it says 'menu: milk & cookies'). I used silver thread to hang the tag through one of the holes on the larger doily.
 
 
On the Deer box, I adhered the blue ribbon, but left a long tail at each end so that I could tie a loose knot for closure. I die cut my pieces: a light blue majestic label and a frill oval in cream cs. I inked all the edges of both pieces with  hickory smoke and gathered twigs. I stamped the sentiment in black & clear embossed. I adhered the blue tag and then popped up the cream oval atop it. I then die cut two flourishes from a green cs and adhered them as shown. I glued three deep red roses as shown. I then inked a wood deer with gathered twigs and for the tail, I used a white gelly roll pen. I popped him up on the right to finish. 
 
 
Now, remember the flaps I cut off at the beginning? No waste! You can adhere them together at the bottom flap (see photo). Then, holding the two sides together, punch a hole at the top, big enough to thread your ribbon through. 
 
 
Decorate as you'd like. You can add a little treat or a gift to the inside with glue dots. I plan to make some kind of a brownie bar or maybe fudge, and will put one in a small plastic bag & adhere it with a couple of glue dots.


I hope you enjoyed these projects and are inspired to make your own any time of the year. They were fun to put together and I hope to make more. Good way to use up some paper you've been hoarding forever. lol  Until next time,
Crafty hugs, Becca xxoo"
 

Supplies:
Spellbinders: Majestic Labels Eight, Frill Oval, Flight 1
Darice: Flourish die, white snowflakes
My Favorite Things: Mini Doily die
Whimsy Stamps: tag die
Peachy Cheap: large doily die
Fiskars: scallop edger punch, trimmer, hole punch
Stamp sets: YNS 'Food Truck Holiday' and Unity Stamps 'Warm Winter Comforts'
Ribbons: Offray, Joann's & Michaels
Inks: TH distress inks, Colorbox
Adhesives: Scor-tape, Tombow mono liquid glue, Aleene's tacky glue, foam squares (Recollections)
Designer papers: Cosmo Cricket, Creative Imaginations & unknown
Creatology: wooden deer
 
I'd love to see what you've been creating, so stop by the current link party and showoff any creation that includes a product or two from one of the companies carried in the Cropstop store. 

No comments: